Skip McDonald's, Carl's Jr., and even In 'n Out. These are delicious and addictive, and take less than 10 minutes start to finish.
Two 2.5 oz balls of 80/20 ground beef
Freshly cracked black pepper
Deli sliced American cheese (IMPORTANT: skip the Kraft crap)
1. Add a small glug of canola oil to 12 inch cast iron skillet. Use a paper towel to brush it into a medium/light coating on the bottom of the pan.
2. Heat pan on medium/high heat just until oil starts to smoke.
3. Add the meat balls to two opposite sides of the skillet, and firmly smash them down using the bottom of a small saucepan or bowl (cover the bottom with a sheet of foil if you don't want to clean it afterwards). You're looking for about 3/8 inch here.
4. Season with kosher salt and black pepper and cook 2 minutes.
5. Flip (these WILL stick so use stainless spatula to pry off bottom).
6. Season again, and add slice of cheese to one or both patties.
7. Turn off heat and cook another minute.
8. Stack and add to toasted bun with your choice of toppings.